This is a very detailed description. Be sure to read the Overview first!
There are 4 ways to get RFIs and submittals into your logs:
- The sender is also a TonicDM user, and sends the RFI or submittal with TonicDM.
In this case there is nothing to do. All the information will automatically be entered into your log for you.
- Your contractor is using Procore.
You can connect your Procore account then import the RFI or submittal into TonicDM.
- The send CC's the TonicDM project email address when sending the RFI or submittal.
You can import the RFI or submittal from the email.
- You receive the RFI or submittal via email, hardcopy etc.
In this case you need to manually enter the information into your log.
The instructions below show manually entering the information into your log (the 4th use case above).
The videos show the process for submittals. RFIs are substantially similar.
Manually Logging RFIs and Submittals
Look in the top left of the TonicDM screen to ensure you are in the correct project. Click the Submittals tab, and then Log a New Incoming Submittal.
Fill in the fields as follows:
- Received From: will be pre-filled with the last person you received an RFI or submittal from on this project. Delete the pre-filled value to enter a different one. If the person you need is not in the auto-complete list use the Add New Contact link to add the required person.
- On Date: is the day you received the RFI or submittal, which could be today or a different day. Optionally you can also enter a time.
- Sender's RFI/Submittal ID: is the ID (or number) that the sender uses to track this item.
- Our RFI/Submittal ID: is the ID (or number) that you want to use to track this item. TonicDM defaults to a simple sequence number, and will automatically default to the next number in the sequence. If you want to match your ID to the Sender's ID, click the copy over link to avoid needing to re-type this information.
- Sender's RFI/Submittal Title: is the title/subject that the sender uses to track this item.
- Our RFI/Submittal Title: is the title/subject that you want to use to track this item. Click the copy over link to reuse the sender's title then customize it if desired.
- Spec Section: is used to categorize this item using a code. [Note: the Spec Section field is currently only available for Submittals, but not RFIs]
- No Response Required or Response Required allows you to set your log correctly for tracking responses, or to ensure the log doesn't show that a response is expected.
- If Response Required is chosen, you can choose the date the sender has requested your response by, and separately you can choose the day you plan to respond by, which may be different.
TonicDM will calculate your respond by date for you based on the default number of business days you have configured for this in the project settings.
- Responsible Person is the person on your team who will process this item. Only users of the TonicDM system from your organization are shown in the selection list. To assign the item to a person, they must have a TonicDM account.
- Sender's Message records any instructions, notes or other miscellaneous information. You may want to copy and paste the body of the email you received.
- Select Files to add as attachments. If you received the attachments by email, you'll need to drag them out of the email onto your desktop, then click Select Files to add them or drag them from the desktop onto the Drop Files Here area.
When you click Log, the RFI/Submittal will be entered into your log.
Forwarding RFIs and Submittals
Click on the title of the RFI/submittal in the log to go to it's detail page.
On the detail page, scroll down to find the "Forward" button. If there are one or more resubmissions, scroll to the bottom to ensure you are forwarding the latest resubmission.
- Message: will be pre-filled with the message the item was received with, and can be deleted or customized as desired.
To and CC can include people from your contacts. If you need a new contact, click the Add New Contact link.
You can include people from multiple organizations.
- Include Files We Received puts the files that were received with the RFI/submittal into the list of files to be sent with this forward.
- Use Select Files to add more attachments, or select one or more attachments in the list to remove them.
- Picking No Response Required or Response Required will set your log correctly as to whether or not you are expecting a reply.
- If Response Required is chosen, choose the date the recipients need to respond to you by.
TonicDM will calculate that date for you based on the default number of business days you have configured for this in the project settings.
When you click Forward, a notification with link to download the attachments will be emailed to the people you selected in the To and CC fields.
Manually Logging the Reply to a Forward
If the organizations you forwarded the item to are also users of TonicDM, they can reply to your forward using TonicDM, and their reply will be entered into your log automatically.
If you receive the reply via email, hardcopy etc. you will need to manually enter the information into your log.
The button to manually enter the reply is located next to the record of the forward on the item's detail page.
Click Log the Response and fill in the form:
- Received From: is the person you received the reply from. This must be a person from the organization you forwarded the item to.
- Date: in the date you received the response. Entering the time is optional.
- Put the text of their response into the Answer field. You may want to copy and paste the body of the email you received. Any additional notes or other miscellaneous information can go here too.
- Use Select Files to add the attachments included in their response, if any.
If you received the attachments by email, you'll need to drag them out of the email onto your desktop, then click Select Files to add them or drag them from the desktop onto the Drop Files Here area.
Replying to RFIs and Submittals
When you have formulated your response to an RFI or submittal, select it in the log to go to it's detail page, and find the Return this Submittal or Answer RFI button.
Click Return this Submittal or Answer RFI button and fill in the form:
Return the Submittal to: will be pre-filled with the person the item was received from, however this can be changed to any other person in that organization.
If a new contact is needed, click the Add New Contact link.
- Message: is for your message to them and will be included in the email which they will receive.
- If files were received as a response to your forward(s), an option will be shown allowing you to add them into the files box.
However, often you will need to add a stamp or notes to the files you received from your consultants. In this case you'll need to download the files to your desktop, add the stamp/notes, then click Select Files to upload them or drag them from the desktop onto the Drop Files Here area.
- When returning a submittal, choose the Submittal Action. This is the option selected on your submittal stamp, eg. "No Exceptions Taken" or "Revise and Resubmit".
If the action you need isn't shown in the list, click Add an Action.
- For submittals, choose whether you want the log to show it as Closed or Awaiting Resubmission. Typically certain submittal actions would be associated with each, for example, for "No Exceptions Taken" you would choose "Closed" and for "Revise and Resubmit" you would choose Awaiting Resubmission.
Tip: If you make the wrong selection, you can quickly correct it on the submittal's detail page.